Thursday, 22 April 2010

Almost there!

Two shots of the (almost) finished carabinier unit. Need to just add silver to the harnesses etc and touch up around the sword belts and carbines. I'm not 100% happy with the fit of the latter to be honest, but I couldn't seem to get them to fit snugly any further back! I know that they hung via a sliding brass fitting on the rear of the piece but the Perry instructions says they attach via the saddle holsters which is fiddly to do. I MAY have another go at this or I may just notch it down to experience and let it go this time. Need to darken the carbine woodwork slightly too. The separate sword belts went on quite easily but I would have preferred those to be moulded on. Overall though I'm happy.

I'll add the next update of the completely finished and based unit shortly.

Next up are cuirassiers as I said. I just need to research the situation regarding carbines? Almost all of the illustrations of charging cuirassiers in the Osprey title show them not wearing carbines but they were issued with them. I would imagine the carbine could be a nuisance in action given the weight of them. Having had experience of handling and firing black powder weapons I know the weight of such a piece so maybe they were removed and stored for mounted action? Any thoughts on this?

Back soon.


No comments: