Sunday, 18 April 2010

Carabiniers (part 2)

Here are the completed 8 figures! Seemed to take no time at all, simple washes of colour then in with a bit of detailing/shading. Gloves for example are brown ink wash then white. I did the 'ochre belts edged in white' by quickly painting them white then painting the 'ochre' stripe along the centre...easy! So today I should get the horses undercoated then have a break until tomorrow .

Sword belts/straps and carbines are s till on the sprues for painting and will be glued on to the figures, again it makes the job much faster and easier.

I have made a measuring device (in the great tradition of vintage wargames!) to allow me to use the WRG rules with my basing system. It simply shows the number of 45mm frontage bases that I use and how many figures each base frontage represents under WRG, for example a 4 figure 'element' for foot a 3 figure 'element' for cavalry, 2 for skirmishers etc. Probably harder to describe than to illustrate with the device so I'll upload a pic later. Essentially my bases frontages are what counts NOT the number of figures on my bases, which are purely representative of the 'type', hope that makes sense? For example while my cavalry units are of 8 actual figures the 4 'element' frontages actually represent 12 fighting figures under the rules as regular cavalry are 3 per element under WRG. ....... simples!!!!

The finished carabinier riders.



2 comments:

Stryker said...

Hi Lee - Simples indeed! I really like the speed and effect of your painting technique. I've tried to get my head around the white undercoat technique for a while but I just can't work it out. Any chance of a step-by-step idiots guide (with pictures & paint refs) as I would love to have a go?

Ian

Lee said...

Hi Ian,

No problem at all, I'll do a step by step job when I begin the cuirassiers. I have to admit it took me quite a few test paints on HaT plastics to get a feel for the method again after so many years, the paint seemed to run everywhere and I kept seeing white 'gaps' I'd missed etc. What I found was that I had to change the order in which colours were applied, for example hands and faces had to be painted much earlier than I would with black undercoat, but using the GW ink this became a very simple but effective way to produce ready shaded flesh! I think the inks could become the key as with 'Jam's' painting because whilst very thin they don't run much at all and seem to 'self shade'!!! I will be investing in more inks soon as I can get to my local art shop.

Lee.