Decided to try a 'test horse' to see how the black would look. Carabiniers of course rode all black horses except for the grey of the trumpeter. I have found black horses hard to get to look right in the past. I think this will be OK. First I washed thin Foundry black 34A over the white u/coat. Then I used strong black to shade beneath the body and in the legs, neck etc. A quick touch of white on some legs and the blaze and done! Placed a carabinier on to view the overall effect and I'm quite happy. Its not solid black, there are lighter tones and I think it works. photos show 2 stages plus one with the rider. All detail, saddle, reins etc have not yet been painted, I just wanted to test the wash effect.
Should have this unit all completed by Friday, then straight onto the Cuirassier unit before returning to paint more British Line infantry...... I'm planning ahead. When I paint the Cuirassier unit I'll do a blow by blow account of how I build up the colours over the white undercoat..... its fast and furious!!
Back soon, I want to keep this blog lively and regularly updated.