Monday, 3 May 2010

Interlude! - paint method illustrated.

Here are some pics that I hope will illustrate my white undercoat/retro paint job! I had these 3 figures left so thought they would make good subjects; the pioneer and the sergeant will be added to the next British line battalion and the casualty may find its way onto a command base later.

You can see how well the thin washes work over that undercoat. I started with Foundry red shade ( 15A ) thinned down so it ran just where I wanted it and left no visible white. After that a quick touch of red middle shade ( 15B) to highlight. Then take GW brown ink and let it flow around the faces, necks hair and hands. Thin it slightly over the face. The again a quick touch of 'flesh/light' ( 5C) to highlight and done! I now use the same brown ink for muskets at this stage, this takes seconds per figure to do and gives a great wood effect. After that I thin pure black (34A) and wash over shakos, packs, boots, cartridge boxes etc, again then pick up some stronger thicker black and work those areas. The grey trousers were also washed lightly at that stage with thin black then highlighted with grey ( 33A) this colour also highlights the rolled blanket. Then its white, I thin it just very slightly so it flows well and quickly work over belts, straps, lace etc. I DONT line the white! I decided from the start not to do this as I prefer them this way, I think it can give an exaggerated look but that's just my opinion. The pioneers apron was washed with the brown ink then worked in with foundry leather brown ( 7b ) and highlighted by adding a touch of white. Finally I add metallics using foundry 'metal' (35B) and 'shiny ' (36C).

Finally I ALWAYS go back over and touch up where I need to. usually the paints on the palette are still good to use for this so I don't need to reopen pots etc. I do try to be economical with my paints and use toothpicks to put only what I need onto the palette.... I hate waste! I touched up the pioneer ( oh err missus!) around the beard and face to finish him.

You can see in the finished shot (top) that I had to give the sergeant a musket as I couldnt find his spontoon! In the heat of battle his spontoon has broken so he has picked up a musket :-)

What I enjoy is being able to keep the paints open so that any mistakes can be quickly corrected, but I'm not looking for perfection, just a good overall standard that will look good as part of a larger unit. I have always believed that good basing makes the biggest difference to this effect.

Back soon with more British line infantry. I have an order due soon and I'm now going to order my first box of victrix.... the French Guard Grenadiers. I hope to get just 2 x 16 figure battalions both in 'march attack' pose and I think this can be done. I'm also going to order the British Foot Artillery set from them.





3 comments:

Stryker said...

Hi Lee - Thanks for that, you make it look easy!

Ian

Lee said...

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the comment. Compared to painting over a black undercoat it IS easy! take that red for example, if you look right back to the start of this blog 3 years ago when I began in 15mm, getting that same red to cover the black and look bright took a good 3 coats to build up. In this method you thin the red right down and just let it flow... its done in seconds. Again a highlight with 'scarlet' or mid red also takes seconds to do per figure. The key with this method is to ensure you don't leave those annoying white gaps showing in the finished figure so thinned paint is essential. After some practice you get confident in knowing just where the paint will flow without spoiling what you have already done. 'Black' method just feels too 'disciplined' to me! of course you still have to work at the detail colours such as the white but time saved elsewhere makes this less of a chore I find.

Cheers,
Lee.

JAM said...

Lee, I have to say that you have the technique down,

Nice looking figures.

John