Wednesday, 7 July 2010

British artillery - take 2.

Here is the first completed Royal Artillery gun and crew in metal. I'm far happier with these than with the plastic Victrix set painted a few posts back. Just one small niggle now ....... I cant help noticing how much smaller in stature these Perry crew are than the Victrix figures! Not much I can do about that now, but its noticeable that even the Perry French line artillery crew I have undercoated seem larger overall. Its a shame as the figures were a joy to paint and the detail is so much more defined. The plastic artillery have now been removed from the collection.

I have a few more Perry metal figures left to paint plus another 16 figure Victrix Guard battalion and after that it will over to Front Rank so hopefully these annoying inconsistencies will end.



6 comments:

JAM said...

Look nice Lee. I have to admit, plastic artillery just does not seem right.

Matt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Matt said...

The artillery are looking great. Just picked up some Foundry French Artillery myself and can't wait to get stuck into them.

I'm currently using Army Painter on my Napoleonics. I'm ok with the results but there's a couple of things you need to be careful of when using it. I've included a couple of tips in my blog if you feel like taking a look.

http://whippedraw.blogspot.com/

Lee said...

Thanks John. can I ask you how you feel the Front rank figures match up with the Perry plastics? Looking closely at some of your images they do seem to compliment each other OK?

Matt, thanks for the comment about Army painter. I just looked at your pics and it seems to have worked well, although I note what you say about using it carefully. have added your blog to my list here.

Cheers,

Lee.

JAM said...

The cannon are quite a bit bigger from front rank and the figures are a little thicker as well, I would not mix Perry British and Front Rank British in the same artillery unit, but over all I will still use both in an army as they are both great figures and guns.

John

Lee said...

Thanks for that info John.

Lee.