Monday, 16 August 2010

Undercoat issues!

Well, having decided to try a black undercoat on the Highlanders I quickly realised that it was going to be a struggle to get that red coverage, the reason I changed to white in the first place. I just could not get the Foundry red to cover well and found it frustrating. So what to do? I walked away from for a couple of days before deciding to drybrush the black u/coat with white to highlight them, leaving some black shadow in shadow areas. I don't know how this is going to turn out but I reckon it will be Ok and certainly the red has covered well in one go. If this does work out I'll use it on the rest of the highlanders. Just wanted to post this picture here for comparison when finished. You never know, it might turn out to be a useful method :-)

Back in a few days with the finished figures hopefully.

6 comments:

Rafael Pardo said...

Hi
I have used black undercoat with red without problems, by giving after three layers:
1) Vallejo 982 (Cavalry brown) or AC18 Andrea Colors instead
2) Vallejo 982 + Vallejo 947 (Red)
3) Vallejo 947 (Red)
I like to higjlight also with Games Workshop Gore red
Regards
Rafa

MiniatureWargaming Editor said...

Ditto Rafael. Black undercoat, first brown, then red. Looks very nice.

Stryker said...

Hi Lee - your white over black seems like quite a good compromise to me. That Foundry red does take up to three coats to cover properly over black but the final result is worth it. Looking forward to seeing how you tackle the tartan!

Ian

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

Black undercoat and a 'dampbrush' of white to provide a "key" has been my method for years now - best of both worlds...

http://steve-the-wargamer.blogspot.com/2008/07/horse-painting.html

nigelb said...

Hi,

i've been undercoating in brown for some time and have jus reverted to black, but i think your specific white seems to work a treat tried it on a couple of brits last night ,

so many methods so little time to paint, great blog by the way, i have returned to napoleonic after a few years of AWI and Dark age. the army of my childhood

good luck with your project, i'm painting a British division for the table "rushed" and a Prussian for me ha ha more highlights time etc

looking forward to more on your blog

Nigel B

Lee said...

Cheers all for the advice and comments :-) I have not got too far this week with these but what I have done is looking good with nice deep shadows from the black and bright coverage over the white drybrush. The belts are all well defined even before I paint them! So far I'm liking this method.

I'll speed up again once the school holidays etc are over.

I have been researching the issue of the detachable leather peak on the Highland bonnet and it seems that by 1815 even the 92nd (who's regimental orders had previously forbidden the wearing of it) was wearing it, my impression is that by 1815 and when on campaign it was a matter of personal choice and regimental orders were simply flouted. So I may just mix them up a bit in my battalions. Any comments on this chaps?