Wednesday, 22 September 2010

Technology.

Like many wargamers of a certain age I remember when the monthly publication of a glossy magazine was eagerly awaited as this was the only way to keep up to date with what was happening on the wargaming 'scene', and the figure manufacturers would advertise latest releases etc. If you wanted to sell some figures you placed a small advertisement and waited about 6 weeks for it to appear! How things have changed. Digital photography and the internet now enables us to spend hours perusing other peoples collections and one thing that I still enjoy as much as I did in the magazine days is reading battle reports with stage by stage pictures. I often read blogs etc on my IPod, sometimes as bed time reading, the device being light and small yet having the ability to display text and images at full screen size which I find quite easy on the eyes. However, at the other extreme I also like to hook the laptop up to our large screen TV and look at battle reports etc on that. Its great seeing those images blown up like that, and just as in the old 'magazine days' I can drool over the lovely figures and terrain etc! Last up was John's latest offering from his excellent 'Wargaming in 28mm' blog, I sat and read the write up on the TV and the images were just stunning. Might all seem a bit 'geeky' I know but I see it as simply using the available technology to its full. Rafa's battles (Project Leipzig) also look great on the big screen.

On the painting front nothing to report so far this week but I hope to be starting some Front Rank Dragoon Guards today. Excellent service, so fast. Been looking through the FR site and planning future orders. More cavalry and more French artillery, then some British Light infantry.




3 comments:

JAM said...

Scary, every little blemish must come out on the large screen!!!!!!!!!!

Lee said...

No John, they look great!

Lee.

Stryker said...

Lee what a brilliant use of technology. Sadly in our house it would never happen as 1) only Mrs S has an iPhone and 2) only Taggart, Come Dine with Me and back to back episodes of Spooks are allowed on the big screen...

Ian