Saturday, 2 October 2010

'Teddy Bear Fur' terrain !!

This morning I have spent some time thinking about and planning terrain. I looked at the standard boards and the possibility of building my own from scratch. Then I searched for examples of the 'lay on' terrain mats, including felt and other materials that could be painted for a realistic effect. I like the idea of being able to model realistic rolling hills as opposed to contours. A few searches gave me a lot of ideas for this and then I clicked upon the following link to Earlswood Wargamers and BANG! there it was, the Teddy Bear Fur terrain mat in all its glory. I had been considering working with an old blanket to achieve the same effect but the texture of the fur is so realistic and can be painted and highlighted to choice. It was a Eureka moment! I went upstairs to inspect a few examples from my daughters room and decided that this could well be the one for me. Its quite cheap too direct from the mill. As you can see from the picture in the link its very effective. Funny though :-)

4 comments:

napoleon said...

The Teddy Bear cloth was made by Alan Sheward at Earlswood. He's one of the many talented blokes at the club. It's been used in ECW, WW2, AWI and Napoleonic games. Very versatile

MSFoy said...

Brilliant - I'd never have thought of using the stuff. Looks excellent.

Tell your daughter that the RSPCTB is keeping an eye on the situation, and will check up on any disappearances.

Tony

Lee said...

The Teds are all safe so far Tony! Does look very effective though I agree and credit to Alan Sheward for his artistry.

Great quote on the Earlswood site, "Give him an old pair of curtains and he'll come back with the battlefield at Agincourt" !!

Australian Napoleonic Kriegspielers said...

make sure you don't harm any teddy bears in the process :)

Teddy bear fur is very effective, If you can find Al's photo bucket he has a step by step guide on how to do it.

good luck

cheers
matt