Friday, 3 December 2010

Battle! - First move.

I have set up this test run through on a small bare table. I will be working on my terrain probably in the New Year now as our eldest daughter is getting married next Saturday and then its Christmas so all resources are currently required elsewhere! I wanted to get a test run under my belt though so bare table it is. I should explain that the 'wargames room' I mentioned earlier in the blog last December/Jan was tunred over as an 'art room' for our kids and its been well used, including 4 paint splattered walls and the ceiling! we try to encourage creativity so let it go. Its our spare 4th bedroom and measures just 9' x 7' so is very tight for a full sized wargame table anyway. Come the New year I may well think about using either the dining table in the kitchen (but its always busy in there!) or the back room where I do my painting for my wargaming. The latter is nice as it overlooks the garden and has patio doors for the summer. Anyway, enough of the domestics, lets get down to some fighting AT LAST.

Note: I will improve the lighting for future pictures!

TEST GAME 1.

There are 2 Corps on the table for this first run through. Both Corps commanders are designated as ‘Average’. Each corps consists of the following:

4 x infantry brigades. 1 x Light cavalry brigade and 1 artillery battery.

BRITISH.
Brigade A: skirmish= B - morale class B Fire value C
Brigade B: skirmish =C - morale class B Fire value B
Brigade C: (light infantry) skirmish=A -morale class A Fire value A
Brigade D: skirmish= C. - morale class C Fire value B

Light cavalry brigade. (Light dragoons) morale class B

Battery of medium foot artillery. B class gunners.


FRENCH.
Brigade A: (Light infantry) skirmish = A morale class B Fire value B
Brigade B: skirmish = C – morale class C Fire value B
Brigade C: skirmish = C – morale class C Fire value C
Brigade D: skirmish = C – morale class D Fire value C

Light cavalry brigade (Hussars) morale class B.

Battery of medium foot artillery, class B gunners.


SET UP.

A simple (and very basic at this stage!) bare table with a central village BUA base 30cm square, surrounded by fields that reduce movement. Roads lead in to the village (no buildings yet) from both sides of the table. The objective of both sides is to take control of the village and hold it and if possible to drive back the enemy.

MOVE 1.

Both sides are under initial ‘MOVE’ orders, these must be changed by CinC as required. Cards are drawn to determine who moves first and British draw first move. The British Corps commander is average and throws a 4 on an average dice for 4 command points (CP’s) and adds +2 ‘average’ (plus 3 for ‘gifted C/O or +1 for ‘Poor’ C/O). A total of 6 command points available to him.

He chooses to make a ‘brigade move’ as all infantry are within his command radius (8”) and within 2” of each other. All 4 infantry brigades make a full move forward together for 1 CP. The cavalry move half move and deploy into line for 1CP and the artillery move forward a full move for 1 CP.

French move next: The Corps commander (my beloved ‘grouchy’ figure) is average and rolls a 3 on an average dice. So adds + 2 to give him 5 CP’s. He elects to use 1 CP to make a ‘brigade move’ by his infantry (all within 2” of each other) and 1CP to advance his artillery battery along the road. A further 1 CP sees the Hussars move slightly to the right and deploy into line.

(Note: rules state that a Corps commander “must use all of his CP’s to achieve the corps orders”. Not clear on this? Both have CP’s left over and no need to use them? Paul, could you offer any help here please?).

No firing so end of move 1. Picture shows the battle at this stage. (Note: I must now place a figure representing the overall Commander in Chief on the table as a Corps commander is unable to change Corps orders, this must be done by the Commander in Chief who must be in base to base contact with his Corps commander in order to do this. He must also roll for CP’s in order to do this. I will place each C in C figure in base contact with the Corps commanders to begin move 2 as I missed this initially).


MOVE 2. French card is drawn for first move. french Commander in Chief will now roll for CP's and then attempt to change the corps orders to 'Engage'.

5 comments:

Stryker said...

Hi Lee - the tension is mounting! I was interested to see your choice of rules - it will be good to see how they work out. Shame that you lost your 'wargame' room. I have the same problem with nowhere to have a permanent table (unless I can fight on a 3' x 4' table which I can't really). I guess using the dining room table is the most old school choice!

Ian

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

Excellent narrative - I too am looking forward to outcome!

Anonymous said...

Hi Lee

Glad to see that you have started the game. I look forward to the outcome.

I notice that you have shown the class and skirmish ability of your infantry, but not the firing ability. The aim of all three is that you get different types of fighting ability. Some are better skirmishers, some better at volley fire, some just better class/morale.

You asked about using all CP. The corps commander must use all of his CP to achieve his orders. As soon as he ahcieves his objective he must change his status (for example from Move to Hold)

It is not necessary to have a CinC figure in a single corps battle, indeed I would advise not to. He will have too many CP and will be able to do anything he wants.

A CinC is only necessary in a multi corps battle.

In a single corps battle the corps commander can change his own orders/status, but it will take 1 CP for a Gifted commander, 2 CP for an average one and 3 for a Poor one.

Good luck with the game.

regards

Paul

Lee said...

Hi Paul,
Thanks for coming. Bit late seeing your comments so I'll let this game run its course now as I just get a feel for the mechanics. I'll add the firing ability to the lists, forgot to add that too! Oh well, its been over 10 years since I last fought a wargame :-)

Thanks for the help,
Lee.

Ian and Steve, you will have to bear with me as I am very rusty but I'm loving this.

Anonymous said...

Hi Steve

Just read part two.

You are correct, no need for CP for cavalry to remain at halt.

I see that you have your British infantry in two lines two brigades deep. I assume that they are within supporting distance (4")?

Dangerous formation. Artillery fire can "bounce through" to the second brigade (if within range).

Also if the front brigade routs it will disorder the brigade behind it, who will also have to test morale.

You seem to be doing very well following the rules. I am quite surprised, as I suspect that they are not that easy to understand first time out.

Drop me a line if there is anything you are not sure about

regards

Paul